Newly confirmed: Dr Maggie Atkinson, Children's Commissiner for England, will launch her latest report on findings on children’s experiences of parental alcohol misuse
Serious case reviews for Tia Riggs and Alex Sutherland have highlighted the need for effective joint working between adult care services, drug treatment providers and all those working in children’s services to safeguard children of substance misusing parents and ensure they are not invisible to adults’ services.
A third of adult substance misusers in treatment have childcare responsibilities and the lives of these children are much improved when families as a whole are supported.
It is vital that both adult's and children’s services work together to provide that support.
Professionals who work with drug and alcohol misusing parents face the difficulty of engaging not only partner agencies, but substance misusing parents themselves in treatment and child protection, in the face of increasing stigmatisation and stereotyping.
Attend the Drug and Alcohol Misusing Parents Conference to:
- Learn effective approaches to achieve joint and multi-agency working to provide whole family support and recovery for drug and alcohol misusing parents and to effectively safeguard children and young people
- Discover an approach to early intervention
- Promote positive parenting by involving service users in service development and delivery
- Benefit from approaches to tackle the stigma and stereotyping felt by substance misusing parents
- Engage mental health services in service user recovery
Plus gain updates on pilot projects and payment by results.